Not taxed for on road use???

quicksilver

While running a few former Stondon exhibits through the DVLA system to find out if they managed to escape and return to the road, a couple of them threw up something odd that I've never seen before and can't find any documentation about. In the 'Tax' field, instead of the usual Taxed, SORN or Untaxed, they have the green background implying things are ok, with the text "Not taxed for on road use". That seems to imply they are somehow taxed for off road use so what the hell does it mean? Try it on Ford 828YVW if you don't believe me.

post-5267-0-21623500-1428421984_thumb.jpg

Good thoughts re agricultural vehicles etc. but it's a 1961 Ford Consul so I can't see why it would have any special exemption. The same status applies to the 1959 Austin A40 (XXO151) that's currently in the museum but those are the only two I've found - the rest are normal SORN or unlicensed.

I've remembered something that seems to explain it. There are a few vehicles taken off the road before the DVLA records were computerised but still in existence that have a weird automatic tax renewal every year with a liability date in the middle of the month to keep them alive on the system. The coach in the photo is a spares donor that has not been roadworthy for decades but until recently it kept getting re-taxed with a due date of 8th March. This one is also now showing the 'not taxed for on road use' status and 'tax not due' so it seems to apply to the handful of vehicles in this situation.

EDIT: having said that, 828YVW is recorded as first registered in 1988 (IIRC the DVLA computerisation was several years before that) and was MoTed until as recently as Jan 2015 so I'm not sure what's going on with that one. 

12545142635_65fcb84ce9_c.jpg

Still taxed! by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr 

Looking at some examples from my previous employers... I'd reckon it's something to do with something. Most of our old tugs and the like are showing no details held for MOT status on a green box, and not taxed for road use. On that basis I'd have said it was something to do with plant equipment but clearly not; that said, some of our old Transits are also showing "Not taxed for road use" as well.

Hmmmm.

The other thing of course, is not to expect too much in the way of consistency from DVLA.....I still remember seeing a showman's Scammell logbook that clearly said "Moped". That turned out to be something to do with the chain drive.

We had a pair of 1984 Douglas DC8 Tugmasters which were both licensed as Reliants. Think they were plated for about 150-tonnes, must've made them the heaviest bloody Reliants anywhere.

post-4240-0-20100000-1428480732_thumb.jpg

It'll be this, from the DVLA page on tax-exempt vehicles:

Vehicles used just for agriculture, horticulture and forestry

This includes tractors, agricultural engines and light agricultural vehicles used off-road. It also includes ‘limited use’ vehicles used for short journeys (not more than 1.5 kilometres) on the public road between land that’s occupied by the same person.

[My underlining]

I think it's definitely to do with keeping vehicles alive on the system, that have never been taxed since taxation was recorded centrally at Swansea, circa 1977 I believe.

These vehicles may have had new V5s issued subsequently, and the odd 'Not taxed for road use' designation with renewal in the middle of a month, maybe a way of keeping them 'alive'.

I have some proof. I have a vehicle my Dad bought in 1961, it has been off the road in store since 1971, so has never been taxed with the DVLA, but we made sure it was put on the system prior to the original 1983 deadline so has a V5. This vehicle comes up under this 'Not taxed for road use' category, but it wasn't something I instigated. 

By comparison, I have another car, last taxed in 1979 on the DVLA system, that is still just comes up as 'Untaxed' from that date.